La Sainte-Chapelle

4 boulevard du Palais - 75001 Paris 
Tel: 01 43 54 30 09 

april-sept: 9:30 am - 6:30 pm
oct-marsh: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm everyday

   The church of Sainte Chapelle was built under St. Louis to hold the Crown of Thorns, as well as a piece of the True Cross. Construction of the building, which took place between 1246 and 1248, is attributed to Pierre de Montreuil. While perhaps not as tall as Notre Dame's, Ste-Chapelle's steeple rises an impressive 75 meters off the ground. The church contains 2 chapels: the lower for the servants of the King, and the higher for the Royal Family. The stained glass windows, restored in the 19th century, originally date from the 13th century and cover an impressive 620 square meters. They depict scenes from the Old and New Testaments